Notice Of Regular Meeting Of The Board Of Directors Of Nevada Legal Services, Inc.


Meeting Date: March 8, 2023

Time: 5:00 pm

Place: Virtually on Zoom
Meeting ID: 861 5284 3752 Passcode: 412899 One tap mobile +12532050468,,86152843752# US +12532158782,,86152843752# US (Tacoma)


5:00 p.m.

I. Call to order and Roll Call

5:05 p.m.

II. Approval of Agenda

5:10 p.m.

III. Old Business

1. Approval of the minutes of the Board session held January 25, 2023. (For Action)

2. Receive Fiscal Committee Report.

3. Receive Employee Relations Committee Report.

4. Receive Governance and Strategic Planning Committee Report.

5. Receive Resource Development Committee Report.

6. Receive Executive Director’s Report.

7. Approve 2023 calendar of annual and regular meetings of the Board of Directors. (For Action)

Recommended Schedule for 2023:

Wednesday, January 24, 5:00 pm

Wednesday, March 8, 5:00 pm

Wednesday, April 26, 5:00 pm (review of the 2022 Audit)

Wednesday, September 27, 5:00 pm

Wednesday, November 1, 5:00 pm (Review of PAI Plan / Year End LSC Reporting / Budget)

Questions from last meeting:

a. Should there be such a long hiatus between the April and October meetings? What might be alternative interim meeting? Should there be a summer meeting?

b.Which meeting should be the in-person/annual meeting?

c.Should there be a meeting at the end of November (after the Thanksgiving holiday) since there would be a long gapbetween November 1 and the next meeting?

d.Should there be a meeting calendared as a potential meeting, but if not needed, the meeting would not proceed?

e.What activities would continue on a month-to-month basis(other than Executive Director reports; Fiscal Committee meetings and these reports; other Board committee meetingsand their reports)?

8.Approval of proposed 2023 Budget. (For Action)

Updates to the budget: We were notified of our IOLTA allocationfor 2023 so that has been updated. With that update, I also updated the staff line items to increase our PAI staff and the line item for the improvements at the new space in Bridger as the original $25,000 was extremely low. Finally, I reduced the amount we may receive this year from USVETS because that program has not officiallystarted yet.

5:40 p.m.

IV.New Business

1.Approval of contract for architectural services from APTUS for remodel of the 4th Floor Bridger offices. (For Action)

2.Consider establishment of 2 new committees: Grievance Committeeand Membership Committee; take nominations for membership on committees. (For Discussion and Possible Action)

a.The GSP Committee is in the process of updating the bylawsand is considering a provision that will require removal of the board if a director misses 3 consecutive meetings or is excessively absent. To that end, this Board has discussedcreating a Membership Committee to discuss attendance.

b.The Grievance Committee is one of the required committees at NLS to take grievances from clients as well as employeespursuant to the Personnel Manual. I do not believe this committee has any current members, but I may be wrong. In any event, this committee does need to be populated with members and guidelines drawn up for the handling of clientand employee grievances.

Submitted by: Rhea Gertken

Sign up for our Newsletter

Upcoming Events

No event found!