Frequently Asked Questions

Find Helpful Answers to Commonly Asked Questions From the Community

We receive grants from the Legal Services Corporation and Congress and other national and local grants. For example, our HelpUSA grant provides assistance to veterans in the Las Vegas Valley.

We generally help low income individuals with civil legal issues.  We do not help with criminal issues, although we help seal criminal records.  Generally, you must not have enough money to afford an attorney.  Finally, you must be here in the United States legally, either a United States Citizen or documented immigrant.  We also help undocumented immigrants who have been victims of crime or human trafficking or victims of domestic violence.

We handle most civil legal issues:  housing, name changes, discrimination, unemployment benefits, SNAP (food stamps), TANF (welfare), Social Security, IRS issues, Veteran's benefits, foreclosure, consumer issues and bankruptcy, technical assistance to non-profits, record sealing, work cards, and immigration.

No, we never charge a fee, but you must qualify for our services.  You may have to pay a court filing fee or other costs associated with litigation.

Our offices are located in Las Vegas, two in Reno, Elko, Carson City, and Yerington.  The addresses and phone numbers are:

Las Vegas Office
701 E. Bridger Ave.
Las Vegas, NV 89101
Phone (702) 386-0404
Toll Free (866) 432-0404
Fax (702) 388-1641

Reno Office
449 South Virginia Street, 3rd Floor,
Reno, NV 89501
Phone (775) 284-3491
Toll Free (800) 323-8666
Fax (775) 284-3497

Senior Law Project
449 South Virginia Street, 3rd Floor,
Reno, NV 89501
Phone (775) 334-3050
Fax (775) 334-3056

Carson City Office
209 No. Pratt Ave.
Carson City, NV 89701
Phone (775) 303-7720

Elko Office
285 10th Street
Elko, NV 89801
Phone (775) 753-5880
Fax (775) 753-5890

Yerington Office
Monday – Wednesday
720 Main St., Unit A
Phone (775) 463-1222
Fax (775) 463-1212

Contact us at the numbers above or just visit one of our six offices in Nevada.

Clark County has a Civil Self Help Center and the Washoe County Court also provides assistance.  The State Bar has a Lawyer Referral Service that charges a nominal fee to speak with an attorney.

Volunteer – “Nevada Legal Services has numerous opportunities for someone wishing to volunteer with us.  Attorneys and Law Students can volunteer through our Pro Bono Program.  Social workers or social work students can volunteer to provide case management assistance to our clients.  If you have authority to appear before the IRS, you can volunteer to assist our tax clients.  NLS can always use volunteers to do general secretarial work and conduct intake. All we ask is that the volunteer be able to donate their time for a period of at least a year.  If you’re interested in volunteering or if you have a volunteer idea of your own, please contact the Directing Attorney of the office you wish to work in.”

Internship – “Nevada Legal Services welcomes law students to serve as interns each year.  The internship can take place over the Summer break or can be part of the student’s Fall or Spring semester.  Law Student interns have a wide range of opportunities, e.g. direct representation of clients in administrative hearings; working with NLS lawyers on cases; teaching pro se clinics; working on special projects; conducting large research projects.  Each of our offices accepts applications from prospective Interns throughout the year.  NLS does not have funding to pay Interns.”

right at the coast

Upcoming Events

No event found!