Wage Claims

Minimum Wage
The Nevada wage law provides protections similar to Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) in the areas of minimum wage, overtime, and child labor. There are some differences, and in a case where Nevada law provides greater protection, it would be better to use Nevada law. Remember, FLSA is a floor not a ceiling. The Office of the Labor Commissioner enforces Nevada law. The minimum wage in Nevada is $10.25 per hour if you receive qualifying health benefits from your employer.  If not, then the minimum wage is $11.25. Beginning July 1, 2024, the new uniform minimum wage for all employees will be $12.00 per hour.

The Nevada law applies to all employers in Nevada, except the state, cities, towns, or any office or department of one of these political subdivisions. If the Nevada law covers your employer, it is required to pay you at least the minimum wage for each hour that you work. Your employer is not allowed to require you to work without wages during a trial or break-in period. Wages are the amount your employer agrees to pay you for the time you work, computed in proportion to time, including commissions. It does not include bonuses or profit sharing.

There are exceptions to who is entitled to receive the minimum wage. The following jobs are exempt:

  1. Casual babysitters;
  2. Domestic service employees who reside on the household where they work;
  3. Outside salespersons who earnings are based on commissions;
  4. Some agricultural employees; and
  5. Severely handicapped persons, specified in a certificate from the rehabilitation division.

One important difference between Nevada and the federal law is that in Nevadaif you are a tipped employeeyou are entitled to receive the full minimum wage. That is, your employer cannot credit tips received by you towards the payment of the minimum wage.


Pay Reduction

NRS 608.100 allows your employer to decrease your hourly wage if you do not have an agreement or contract. When your employer wants to decrease your wages, you may have the opportunity to quit and collect unemployment compensation if you cannot find other work. You can claim “good cause” for quitting if your wages decrease more than 25% or if the decrease in pay will result in little or no compensation for you, after deduction for work expenses.

Overtime Pay
You are entitled to overtime pay whenever you work more than 40 hours in one week, or more than 8 hours in any work day, unless by mutual agreement you are working 4 10-hour days. Overtime pay is calculated at 1.5 times your regular hourly wage.

However, there are some exceptions. Executive, administrative, professional, and agricultural employees are exempt from overtime pay provisions. So, if you are not covered by the minimum wage, then you are not entitled to receive overtime pay. In addition, if you are paid at or more than the Nevada minimum wage, you are not entitled to receive overtime pay for more than 8 hours worked in a single day – however, you are still entitled to overtime pay for more than 40 hours worked in a week.

Breaks for Meals and Rest
For every 8 hours that you work, you are entitled to have an unpaid meal break of at least 1/2 hour. You are entitled to a 10-minute break for every 4 hours worked, or major fraction thereof. If you work less than 3 1/2 hours, your employer does not have to provide a rest period. If you are the only person at a particular place of employment, or are covered by a collective bargaining agreement, then you are not covered by this provision.

Pay Periods
Your employer is required to pay you at least on the 15th and the last day of the month. All your wages must be paid in U.S. currency, by a good check (called a “good and valuable negotiable check”), or by direct deposit, if you agree. Your employer cannot withhold money from you pay unless it is for state and federal taxes, or you enter into a written agreement authorizing the employer to make the deduction and the deduction is for your benefit.

If you are fired from your job, all of your earned wages and compensation unpaid at that time become due and payable immediately. If you resign or quit, all earned wages and compensation, unpaid at that time must be paid no later than the regularly scheduled pay day, or seven days after resigning or quitting, whichever is earlier.

Prevailing Wage
There are times when your employer in the construction industry has to pay the prevailing wage. This is important since the prevailing wage is significantly higher than the minimum wage, and can rage from approximately $20.00 to over $30.00 per hour depending on the type of work.

You are entitled to the prevailing wage if your employer is involved in new construction, repair or renovation for:

  1. Public buildings;
  2. Jails and prisons;
  3. Roads, highways, streets, and alleys;
  4. Utilities;
  5. Water mains and sewers;
  6. Parks and playgrounds;
  7. Convention facilities; and
  8. All other public works whose cost exceeds $100,000.

This means that your hourly or daily rate at which you are paid cannot be less than the prevailing wage. The prevailing wage applies to skilled mechanics and worksmen, semi-skilled mechanics and worksmen, or unskilled labor. The rates for each classification should be posted at your work site, in a place generally accessible to you and your co-workers.

File a Claim
The Office of the Labor Commissioner is the agency in Nevada in charge of enforcing the wage laws of Nevada. It will investigate your complaint, determine whether there is substantial evidence a violation has occurred, and, if it has, they will try and recover any wages you are owed. If you believe that you have been paid less than the Nevada minimum wage of $10.25/hr., been denied pay or overtime, or have other pay disputes, you may file a claim against your employer with the Nevada Office of the Labor Commissioner:


Office of the Labor Commissioner
3340 West Sahara Avenue
Las Vegas, NV 89102
Phone: (702) 486-2650
Fax: (702) 486-2660


Office of the Labor Commissioner
1818 College Parkway, Suite 102
Carson City, NV 89706
Phone: (775) 684-1890
Fax: (775) 687-6409


For more information about the Office of the Labor Commissioner or to access complaint forms visit: https://labor.nv.gov/About/Forms/FORMS_FOR_EMPLOYEES/


If you believe you were paid less than the Federal minimum wage of $7.25/hr., or not paid the overtime rate of 1.5 times your hourly wage for hours worked over 40 in a 7-day period, you may file a claim against your employer with the United States Department of Labor Wage and Hour Division (WHD) The nearest WHD District Office is:

U.S. Department of Labor 
Wage and Hour Division 
333 S. Las Vegas Blvd., Suite 5520 
Las Vegas, NV 89101

Phone: (702) 388-6001
Toll-free: 1-866-4-USWAGE (1-866-487-9243)

For more information about filing a complaint with WHD, visit: https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/contact/complaints

Complaints filed with the Nevada Office of the Labor Commissioner or with WHD MUST be filed within two years of the date of the alleged wage violation.

Reclamación Salarial

Salario Mínimo

La ley salarial de Nevada brinda protecciones similares a la ley de Normas Laborales Justas (FLSA) en las áreas de salario mínimo, horas extras y trabajo infantil. Existen algunas diferencias y, en un caso en el que la ley de Nevada brinde mayor protección, sería mejor utilizar la ley de Nevada. Recuerde, FLSA es un piso, no un techo. La oficina del Comisionado Laboral hace cumplir la ley de Nevada. El salario mínimo en Nevada es de $10.25 por hora si recibe beneficios de salud calificados de su empleador. En caso contrario, el salario mínimo es de $11.25 dólares. A partir del 1 de Julio de 2024, el nuevo salario mínimo uniforme para todos los empleados será de $12.00 por hora.

La ley de Nevada se aplica a todos los empleadores en Nevada, excepto el estado, las ciudades, los pueblos o cualquier oficina o departamento de una de estas subdivisiones políticas. Si la ley de Nevada cubre a su empleador, éste debe pagarle al menos el salario mínimo por cada hora que trabaje. Su empleador no puede exigirle que trabaje sin salario durante un período de prueba o de asentamiento. El salario es la cantidad que su empleador acepta pagarle por el tiempo que trabaja, calculado en proporción al tiempo, incluidas las comisiones. No incluye bonificaciones ni participación en utilidades.

Hay excepciones sobre quién tiene derecho a recibir el salario mínimo. Están exentos los siguientes trabajos:

  1. Niñeras casuals / Niñeros casuales;
  2. Empleados del servicio doméstico que residen en el hogar donde trabajan;
  3. Vendedores externos cuyos ingresos se basan en comisiones;
  4. Algunos empleados agrícolas; y
  5. Personas con discapacidad grave, especificadas en un certificado de la división de rehabilitación.

Una diferencia importante entre Nevada y la ley Federal es que en Nevadasi usted es un empleado que recibe propinas, tiene derecho a recibir el salario mínimo completo. Es decir, su empleador no puede acreditar las propinas que usted reciba para el pago del salario mínimo.


Reducción Salarial

NRS 608.100 le permite a su empleador disminuir su salario por hora si no tiene un acuerdo o contrato. Cuando su empleador quiera reducir su salario, es posible que tenga la oportunidad de renunciar y cobrar la compensación por desempleo si no puede encontrar otro trabajo. Puede reclamar una “buena causa” para renunciar si su salario disminuye más del 25% o si la disminución en el salario resultará en una compensación pequeña o ninguna para usted, después de la deducción por los gastos laborales.

Pago Por Tiempo Extra

Tiene derecho al pago de horas extras siempre que trabaje más de 40 horas en una semana laboral programada, o más de 8 horas en cualquier día laboral, a menos que de común acuerdo esté trabajando 4 días de 10 horas.

De nuevo, hay algunas excepciones. Si no está cubierto por el salario mínimo, no tiene derecho a recibir pago de horas extras. Si le pagan el salario mínimo o más, no tiene derecho a recibir pago de horas extras. Los empleados ejecutivos, administrativos, profesionales y agrícolas están exentos de las disposiciones sobre pago de horas extras.


Pausas para las Comidas y el Descanso

Por cada 8 horas que trabajes, tienes derecho a un descanso para comer no remunerado de al menos 1/2 hora. Tienes derecho a un descanso de 10 minutos por cada 4 horas trabajadas, o fracción mayor. Si trabaja menos de 3 1/2 horas, su empleador no tiene que proporcionarle un período de descanso. Si usted es la única persona en un lugar de empleo determinado, o está cubierto por un convenio colectivo, entonces no está cubierto por esta disposición.

Períodos de Pago

Su empleador debe pagarle al menos el día 15 y el último día del mes. Todo su salario debe pagarse en moneda estadounidense, mediante un cheque válido (llamado “cheque negociable válido y valioso”) o mediante depósito directo, si está de acuerdo. Su empleador no puede retener dinero de su pago a menos que sea para impuestos estatales y federales, o que usted firme un acuerdo por escrito que autorice al empleador a realizar la deducción y que la deducción sea para su beneficio.

Si lo despiden de su trabajo, todos los salarios ganados y la compensación no pagada en ese momento serán exigibles y pagaderos de inmediato. Si abandona o renuncia todos los salarios y compensaciones ganadas y no pagadas en ese momento deben pagarse a más tardar el día de pago programado regularmente, o siete días después de abandonar o renunciar, lo que ocurra primero.

Salario Prevaleciente

Hay ocasiones en las que su empleador en la industria de la construcción tiene que pagar el salario vigente. Esto es importante ya que el salario predominante es significativamente más alto que el salario mínimo y puede oscilar entre aproximadamente $20.00 y más de $30.00 por hora, según el tipo de trabajo.

Tiene derecho al salario prevaleciente si su empleador participa en construcciones nuevas, reparaciones o renovaciones para:

  1. Edificios públicos;
  2. Cárceles y prisiones;
  3. Caminos, carreteras, calles y callejones;
  4. Servicios públicos;
  5. Redes de agua y alcantarillado;
  6. Parques y áreas de juego;
  7. Instalaciones para convenciones; y
  8. Todas las demás obras públicas cuyo costo exceda de $100,000.

Esto significa que la tarifa por hora o por día que le pagan no puede ser inferior al salario vigente. El salario prevaleciente se aplica a los mecánicos y trabajadores calificados, a los mecánicos y trabajadores semi-calificados o a la mano de obra no calificada. Las tarifas para cada clasificación deben publicarse en su lugar de trabajo, en un lugar generalmente accesible para usted y sus compañeros de trabajo.  

Presentar una Reclamación

La Oficina del Comisionado Laboral (Office of the Labor Commissioner) es la agencia de Nevada encargada de hacer cumplir las leyes salariales de Nevada. Investigará su queja, determinará si hay pruebas sustanciales de que se ha producido una infracción y, si es así, intentarán recuperar el salario que se le debe. Si cree que le han pagado menos del salario mínimo de Nevada de $10.25 por hora, le han negado pago o horas extras, o tiene otras disputas salariales, puede presentar un reclamo contra su empleador ante la Oficina del Comisionado Laboral de Nevada (Nevada Office of the Labor Commissionner):


Office of the Labor Commissioner (Oficina del Comisionado Laboral)

3340 West Sahara Avenue
Las Vegas, NV 89102
Teléfono: (702) 486-2650
Fax: (702) 486-2660



Office of the Labor Commissioner (Oficina del Comisionado Laboral)

1818 College Parkway, Suite 102

Carson City, NV 89706

Teléfono: (775) 684-1890, Fax: (775) 687-6409



Para obtener más información sobre la Oficina del Comisionado Laboral (Office of the Labor Commissioner) o para acceder a los formularios de quejas, visite: https://labor.nv.gov/About/Forms/FORMS_FOR_EMPLOYEES/


Si cree que le pagaron menos que el salario mínimo Federal de $7.25 por hora, o que no le pagaron la tarifa de horas extras de 1.5 veces su salario por hora por las horas trabajadas más de 40 en un período de 7 días, puede presentar un reclamo contra su empleador con la División de Horas y Salarios del Departamento de Trabajo de los Estados Unidos (WHD) (United States Department of Labor Wage and Hour Division). La oficina de distrito de la WHD más cercana es:

U.S. Department of Labor (Departamento de Trabajo de EE.UU.)

Wage and Hour Division 

333 S. Las Vegas Blvd., Suite 5520 

Las Vegas, NV 89101

(702) 388-6001, 1-866-4-USWAGE (1-866-487-9243)

Para obtener más información sobre cómo presentar una queja ante WHD, visite: https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/contact/complaints


Las quejas presentadas ante la Oficina del Commisionado Laboral de Nevada (Nevada Office of the Labor Commissioner) o ante la WHD DEBEN presentarse dentro de los dos años siguientes a la fecha de la presunta infracción salarial.

Upcoming Events

No event found!